Making your own pizzas at home is super easy, quick and much cheaper and healthier than a delivery.
It also makes you feel really smug to whip up a homemade pizza at a moment’s notice.
The key is a little advance preparation – making a big batch of dough and freezing it in portions.
I use Jamie Oliver’s recipe for dough – it’s enough for 8 pizzas and handily uses a whole bag of flour, so no annoying leftovers to store.
Easy Pizza Dough
- 1 kg White bread flour or ideally Tipo 00 flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 7g Sachets of dried yeast
- 1 tbsp Caster sugar
- 5 tbsp Olive oil
- Sieve the flour/s and salt onto a clean work surface (or into a large bowl if you aren’t keen on the mess) and make a well in the middle.
- In a jug, mix the yeast, sugar and oil into 650ml of lukewarm water and leave for a few minutes, then pour into the well.
- Using a fork, bring the flour in gradually from the sides and swirl it into the liquid. Keep mixing, drawing larger amounts of flour in, and when it all starts to come together, work the rest of the flour in with your clean, flour-dusted hands. Knead until you have a smooth, springy dough. (or, if you are lucky enough to have a stand mixer – put all your ingredients there and let your dough hook do the work).
- Place the ball of dough in a large flour-dusted bowl and flour the top of it. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and place in a warm room (we use our boiler cupboard) for about an hour until the dough has doubled in size.
- Now remove the dough to a flour-dusted surface and knead it around a bit to push the air out with your hands – this is called knocking back the dough.
- Divide the dough up into as many little balls as you want to make pizzas – this amount of dough is enough to make about six to eight medium pizzas. If you want to make my traybake pizza to serve 2, make slightly bigger portions of dough.
- Keep out what you want to use immediately, and wrap the rest in clingfilm and put in the freezer for future smug pizza-making time.
Check out my Easy Traybake Pizza post for inspiration on toppings for your pizza dough.