After what has felt like the longest Winter ever, and a very chilly start to Spring, we are starting to see the first proper Summer weather, the kind of weather where you might choose to sit outside, rather than be forced to because of coronavirus restrictions.
My drink of choice this Summer will be gin, and I’ve rounded up some of my most-wanted Summery gins for 2021.
Malfy Limone Gin
Malfy Gin was a huge hit when it arrived on UK shores a couple of years ago, with it’s distinctive bottle and Amalfi Coast inspiration. The blood orange (Con Arancia) and pink grapefruit (Gin Rosa) flavours are perhaps the most well known, but I think the new lemon (Con Limone) flavour, distilled with Sfusato lemon peels from the Amalfi Coast, is the one to go for this Summer.
Refreshing, citrusy and zesty, this will be perfect in a classic G&T.
Sipsmith Strawberry Smash
Nothing says Summer like strawberries, cream and the tennis at Wimbledon, and this new offering from Sipsmith captures these flavours perfectly. With notes of fresh strawberry and forest fruits, and a hint of mint, this is a fresh, dry gin perfect for hot Summer afternoons.
Sipsmith recommend serving it in a ‘Wimbledon Collins’ – gin, lemon juice, sugar syrup, soda water and fresh strawberries.
- Sipsmith Strawberry Smash is £22.50 for 70cl.
- Product images are for illustration purposes only and might differ from actual product appearance
- Nose - Fresh strawberry and inviting forest fruit, light citrus and a hint of mint
- Palette - Sweet fruity juniper, backed up by juicy strawberry and raspberry leaf
- Finish - Smooth green mint, leaving a fresh sharp dry taste
- Item package weight: 1.42 kilograms
Greyson’s Mediterranean Orange Gin
I’m a big fan of Aldi’s own-brand gin offerings since trying them last year, and this new sharp and sweet orange gin looks like a great option for the Summer.
Salcombe Gin Rose Sainte Marie
For many, a Summer holiday in Provence, with the smell of lavender, a gooey cheese and crusty bread, and a glass of cold Rose is the ultimate in relaxation.
This gin from Devon’s Salcombe distillery evokes just that – inspired by the South of France, it contains a range of botanicals as well as strawberry, angelica, lemon and orange.
So good that Salcombe suggest serving it on it’s own, over ice.
- Salcombe Rose Gin is £40.95 for 70cl.
- 1% FOR THE OCEAN Every UK 70cl bottle purchased helps protect and regenerate 2m2 of seagrass by donating 40p to the Marine Conservation Society
- MULTI AWARD WINNING GIN the world’s only dry pink gin to have ever won a Double Gold medal at the prestigious San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- HAND-PICKED BOTANICALS of fresh citrus peels of lemon and orange are combined with hand sourced botanicals including lemon verbena, rose petals, orange blossom and pink peppercorns
- AN ELEGANT PREMIUM GIN named after the iconic ‘Sainte Marie’ lighthouse, this sweet gin is inspired by the aromas, flavours and lifestyle of the South of France and is a celebration of adventure, colour, freshness and joy; capturing the vibrant spirit of the Mediterranean coast
- EXCEPTIONAL AND DELICATE this gin has been distilled using the finest Macedonian juniper berries and partnered with a soft sweetness from strawberries and angelica; what’s best, it has no added sugar
Manly, Australian Dry Gin
It’s been a few years since I visited Sydney’s Manly beach, and with travel restrictions still in place, it looks like a while yet before I’ll be able to enjoy a drink with my Aussie family.
In their absence, this citrusy offering from Australia’s Manly Spirits might just bridge the gap. It’s created with sustainably foraged, Australian native botanicals, and is best served with a slice of orange and a premium Indian tonic.
- Manly Gin is £40 for 70cl.
- CITRUS NOTES – Our Manly Australian gin offers fresh flavours of citrus, marine and juniper balanced with gentle peppery notes for a complex lingering finish.
- QUALITY INGREDIENTS – Our 43% gin uses only the finest ingredients including the purest Australian wheat spirit and native, marine botanicals to ensure quality.
- SUSTAINABLY SOURCED – Manly Spirits are passionate about the environment which is why our award-winning bottles of gin are created with sustainably foraged, Australian native botanicals.
- MADE IN AUSTRALIA - Our handcrafted gin is distilled, bottled and labelled by hand in our artisan distillery on the Northern beaches of Sydney.
- SERVING SUGGESTION – Enjoy our premium Australian gin with a premium Indian tonic, topped with a slice of fresh orange and a Pepperberry leaf for a refreshing and beautifully balanced G&T.
Brewdog Lonewolf Cactus and Lime Gin
Brewdog have lots of gins now, as part of their Lonewolf brand, but the one that catches my eye for Summer is this Cactus and Lime flavour, made with kaffir lime and cactus flowers.
Brewdog suggest this is best enjoyed at sundown, maybe on one of those rare English evenings where you can stay outside well into the night.
Warner’s Pink Berry 0%
I’ve been a fan of Warner’s gin for a while, particularly their amazing Rhubarb gin, and think this new Pink Berry ‘Botanic Garden Spirits’ sounds intriguing. There aren’t many well-known non-alcoholic gin alternatives on the market so this could be perfect on those sunny pub afternoons where one person has to drive home!
It doesn’t sound too sugary either, combining the fruits with a kick from ginger, chilli and Szechuan pepper. A cheaper alternative could be Aldi’s Kvist Rosa.