Choosing wine for a wedding is tough. You have to get something that:
- Is in budget
- Tastes great for the price
- Won’t freak out the less adventurous drinkers
- Is not a grape that is divisive (Or people have preconceptions about)
- Has label appeal, ideally something not widely known
- Does not clash with the food on offer
- Is interesting enough for wine lovers
Other items you’ll have to consider
- If you are catering for the whole day, you have to estimate how much you’ll actually need.
- You need to get at least a white, red and of course some bubbles which will probably be Champagne for toasts.
- Optional items could be fizz throughout the day and/or aperitifs.
- You may like to offer a rose, especially for a summer wedding.
- Is there a bar you can stock, wine on tables or does the venue provide the drinks?
- Where do you get it? Road trip? Wine Store? Direct from Vineyard?
Luckily for me, we are providing the drinks via a bar, which means that in the process of ticking these boxes and answering the questions I got to consume a godly number of wines. Woo!
A sore head and a tighter waistcoat is a hardship I am willing to accept to find the right libations for my honoured guests.
Here’s a sneak preview of the aftermath of a tasting at Majestic Wines, who put on a fantastic show for our tasting team.
This weekend we’ll taste a few more of the ones we took home to ‘appreciate’ with clean heads and a clean palette.
Have you had to choose wine for a wedding? Tell me about it in the comments – I need all the hope I can get!